Economics Department lobby

Transfer Credits

In some cases, credits from outside MIT can be applied to a major, minor, or concentration in economics.

General guidance

  • Outside credit must be pre-approved, unless you are a transfer student
  • We do NOT offer transfer credit for any college-level courses taken during high school
  • Your grade in the course must be B or higher to receive credit
  • Credit for MIT courses 14.01 and 14.02 will not be given for introductory economics courses taken elsewhere. HASS elective credit will be given instead, with the amount of credit depending on the quality of the class and the grade.
  • Credit for MIT courses 14.01 and 14.02 may be given for intermediate-level micro and macroeconomics courses taken elsewhere.
  • Concentrators must take 14.01 and 14.02 at MIT.
  • Majors, minors, and concentrators can only receive credit for one non-MIT subject.
  • Exceptions may be granted for study abroad by economics majors.

Submitting a request for transfer credit

The department's transfer credit advisor for academic year 2023-2024 is Professor Ricardo Caballero. Please contact Professor Caballero with your transfer credit questions or requests.

Once you have received initial approval, please complete this form to make a formal request for transfer credit.

Send your completed form to Ben Boehlert.

In your initial request and on your form, please indicate:

  1. If you are a transfer student and if so, how long you were at your previous institution
  2. What type of credit you hope to get (also if you have a specific course in mind)
  3. Your major and expected graduation year